Saturday, July 6, 2013

The beginning

"Watch your life and your doctrine closely. Preserve in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers." 1 Timothy 4:16 NIV

In an age where we are being feed constant information it is hard to know what to believe, what to think, but most of all what are we to do! This post marks a change for me, not a small change but quite a large one. I have stepped out of a secular career to stand in the trenches with my brothers and sisters in full time ministry. In preparation for this weeks message I found this powerful verse in 1 Timothy. What it implies is that no matter what you hear You and I are responsible to uphold our faith regardless of the information overload of the world.

Do you and I approach our relationship with Christ with this sense of urgency and importance? As if what we say, do, and even think will have not only the power to transform our lives, but also the lives of those around us. Sometimes in an age of self absorption its easy to forget this faith in Christ does not just belong to us. I myself fall into the trap of "it must not be important to anyone else." This is a fear mechanism. I do not share because I am afraid my beliefs are outdated. But, the reality is that the grace of God cannot be outdated. People need to know that there is someone who gives a crap about them, that being is God Almighty.

The charge for us all is to treat our faith in Christ as if it matters. Can you imagine what the world would look like if all the Christians in the world stood on this verse's foundation. If every morning we awoke with a true sense of urgent evangelism? The call to be a Christian is not an easy one, but one that will change the world.

Strive on my friends, Strive on,

Richard Hiltibran
focusonthecross.org

No comments:

Post a Comment