Monday, March 6, 2017

Why?

For God so loved…John 3:16

I know, I know…yet another play on John 3:16. But, Lent is a season of reflection and contemplation of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the Cross, murdered at the hands of Jews and Romans to atone for humanity’s shortcomings (sin).

I am approaching this Lent in a new and fresh way, being single again, and contemplating the idea and ideals of love, and, if you’d allow, me I’d like share.

What I have surmised thus far is that we can approach this season of suffering with apathy, or with a sense of overwhelming joy. The fulcrum on which this attitude tilts is John 3:16. Either this is a played out verse that has been placed on too many bumper stickers and T-shirts to affect us, or God really loves me, and you, and the world. I believe it is the latter. The heart of the divine creator turns warmly and powerfully to us. We see His unrelenting love being poured out in death for us. As Paul writes, “Even while we were yet sinners…He died...for me...for you…for us” (Romans 5:8). The love of God for his creation is crazy enough to take a bullet for us.

I am challenging you, as the reader of these words, to pause for a brief second and evaluate if this will be just another calendar Lent for you. You will give up some bad habit in hopes of self-improvement. You will say the “right” Christian phrases, and even darken the door to a faith community during this time. Or, will you, in your heart, with honesty and humility, realize someone died for you, someone jumped in front of a bullet for you? As Jesus lays there bleeding, will you ask yourself one question: “Why?”

Because…God so loved.

In Him,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment